Sunday, February 05, 2006

The Era: 100-M.P.G. Cars: It's a Start

Hydrogen cars? Fuel cells? Fuhgeddaboutit! Here's what we can do right now, with off-the-shelf technology:

100-M.P.G. Cars: It's a Start

There is so much we can do to cut our carbon dioxide emissions. This is just one example. Here's more:

Two years ago I replaced all my incandescent light bulbs with compact fluorescent ones. Cut my electric bill by 50%! The newer compact fluorescents turn on instantly, don't flicker, and have dropped dramatically in price. They last 5 times as long as incandescent bulbs.

I keep my water heater low and turn it up 10 minutes before I take a shower. Admittedly, I sometimes forget to turn it back down again; a programmable thermostat for the water heater would solve that problem. But then, I'm saving for a tankless water heater, which only heats the water you actually use, when you need it.

I don't have solar panels. Why? Because my small house and energy efficient practices mean that it would be a very long time before my solar system paid for itself. But if I could get one of those plug-in hybrids, solar panels would suddenly make sense.

Okay, the administration is not going to do anything about energy use. Even as the president announced goals for ethanol and alternative energy, he has cut the budget for alternative energy development. It's up to us.

Let's get going! Tell me about your energy-saving ideas.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home